October is Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention Month and the Gillette Abuse Refuge Foundation (“GARF”) is not only raising awareness all month long, they’re inviting you and the entire community to join their cause and attend some pretty great events!
All month long:
- Domestic Violence Awareness Boards are on display this month at the Campbell County Courthouse, Campbell County Sheriff’s Department, Campbell County Public Library, and Gillette Police Department.
- Purple ribbon flyers displayed at local businesses.
- PSA’s on Basin’s Radio, KOAL radio, and GPA.
- Tables at Walmart and Sportsmen’s Warehouse. Sign-up sheets are available at training, or you can call the GARF office for more details!
How can you help?
- Volunteer for the Crisis Line (Open to CRAT Certified Volunteers ONLY)!
- Help with raffle sales or buy a raffle ticket!
- Attend a GARF event! They are open to everyone so bring your friends and family!
- Help out with the pet supply and food drive! Or bring nonperishable foods and pet supplies to donate.
- Talk to your friends, coworkers, and family about domestic violence.
- Wear a purple ribbon.
Sunday, Oct. 8
Awareness Table/Supply Drive for Animal Shelter at Petco from noon to 4 p.m. Pet Supply Drive and Domestic Violence Awareness Table.
Saturday, Oct. 14
Food Drive/Raffle Ticket Table at Walmart from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Nonperishable food items ONLY and Domestic Violence Awareness Table.
Friday, Oct. 20
Candlelight Vigil at the City of Gillette City Council Chambers at 6 p.m. Speak out! GARF is actively looking for people that are interested in speaking at this year’s vigil. Topic ideas include: sharing a personal story, a poem (by you or someone else), an original or meaningful song, read a relevant letter, newspaper, or article… really anything that pertains to domestic violence prevention and awareness is encouraged. If you or someone you know might be interested in speaking at this event, please contact Shawna by phone call to GARF at 307-686-8071.
Wednesday, Oct. 25
Fundraiser and Raffle Dinner at The Fraternal Order of the Eagles at 5:30 p.m. All proceeds go to benefit GARF. Chili dinner at 5:30 p.m. with salad, corn muffins, and desert for $10 each or free to all raffle ticket holders. Raffle ticket winners will be called at 6:30 p.m. and need not be present to win. Get your raffle tickets here.