GARF offers rewarding and challenging volunteer opportunities. A free extensive training program is offered which can lead to a volunteer advocate position with our agency. Volunteer service is impressive on a resume and can enhance job skills.
- Complete the GARF initial 40-hour training
- Submit to criminal history and child abuse registry background checks
- Understand the dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Understand personal feelings about domestic violence/sexual assault working as a volunteer.
- Develop a working knowledge of local resources available.
- Maintain strict confidentiality at all times.
- Adhere to GARF policies and procedures.
- Crisis Line- Provide direct services to victims of domestic violence and sexual assault on the 24-hour, seven days a week crisis line. A staff member will always be on call with volunteers.
- Support Groups- Volunteers can choose to co-facilitate and group of interest with a staff member or provide day care while women are attending group.
- Fundraising/Other Events- Chuckle for Charities is GARF’s annual fundraiser. Planning meetings begin in October and the event is held in early March. Other events are planned throughout the year and volunteers are always informed and asked to help.
- Administrative- Update community referral list, assemble client files and information packets, answer telephones, copy and file. General administrative duties.
- Shelter- Help shelter staff with donations, landscaping, housekeeping, general maintenance, cooking, grocery shopping, providing advocacy, day care and transportation for shelter clients. Adopt a room.
- Public education- Assist the Prevention Education Coordinator in public awareness efforts. Help organize the Domestic Violence Candlelight Vigil or the Sexual Assault Speak Out. Co-facilitate the Peer Players group and distribute literature and posters.
- Advocacy- Provide advocacy services to clients accessing our office services. Transport and provide daycare for clients as needed.
- Volunteer program- Participate in the recruitment of new volunteers, co-facilitate the 40-hour volunteer training and help organize activities for Volunteer Appreciation Month in April.